What To Know About GFCI Outlets?
Ground fault circuit interrupter outlets (GFCI) are essential to every modern home. They help reduce the chance of electric shock and other hazards. You can identify these units by the presence or absence of a reset button between the outlets, making it easy to determine if they are installed in your home. Lujan Electrical Services is a leader in providing residential and commercial electrical services. We know how valuable GFCI outlets are. Lujan Electrical Services has created a guide outlining all you need to know about the GFCI outlets to demonstrate their usefulness. Find out what ungrounded outlets mean and how they can be dangerous.
Three Important Questions about GFCI Outlets These questions and answers will give you a better understanding of what GFCI outlets are, where they should go, and how to reset them if necessary.
1. What’s the purpose of a GFCI Outlet? The GFCI outlet cuts off the power immediately when there is a ground failure. This is an unexpectedly grounded electrical current. Ground faults are detected by the outlet monitoring the current flowing between the neutral and hot ends of the circuit. The system immediately cuts off the circuit if it detects a difference between the two ends. This reduces the chance of electrocution and damage to devices plugged into the outlet.
2. Where should GFCI Outlets go? These are all areas where you should install GFCI outlets:
● Bathrooms – Because of the high moisture content in the environment, all bathroom receptacles must have GFCI outlets.
● Basements – Unfinished basements and crawlspaces should have GFCI outlets. These are high-moisture areas that can hold a lot of dust.
● Kitchens – A GFCI outlet should be installed within six feet of the sink.
● Laundry rooms – Each outlet in a laundry area should have a GFCI outlet to provide maximum protection in the case of a leaking or broken hose.
● Outside – Outdoor outlets may be exposed to snow and rain. Install GFCI outlets outdoors to reduce the chance of electrical damage. This is especially important for areas close to hot tubs or pools.
3. How can you reset a GFCI outlet? Resetting a GFCI outlet can be done quickly, but you need to inspect the surrounding area before you do so. It would be best to examine the area around the outlet for any water, grease, or worn wires. Lastly, ensure there is no damage to the outlet itself. Once you have completed these tasks, press the reset button at the outlet’s front. If the outlet trips again immediately, it is possible to hire an electrician to inspect it.
Lujan Electrical Services can help you learn more about GFCI outlets and to ask about our electrical installation services. You can contact us on our online contact form to ask questions about our services and your project details.